Blind Dog Radio

Fire Department Blues by Sleepy John Estes

Fire Department Blues (Martha Hardin) - Sleepy John Estes; in G, one guitar in G position, one in E position capoed at 3rd fret.

Now, go call the fire department, for my house is burning down
Now, go call the fire department, for my house is burning down
You know that must be little Martha Hardin, 'cause it's on the North side of town

I see the people is running and I wonder who could it be
I say the peoples is running, and I wonder who could it be
You know that must be little Martha Hardin, I saw 'em turn down on Wilson Street

When you see the Chief, boys, please clear the street
Now, when you see the Chief, boys, please clear the street
'Cause you know he's goin' down, save little Martha Hardin's house for me

She's a hard-workin' woman, you know her salaries is very small
She's a hard-workin' woman, you know her salaries is very small
Then when she pay up her house rent, that don't leave anything for insurance at all

Now, I wrote little Martha a letter, five days it returned back to me
Now, I wrote little Martha a letter, five days it returned back to me
You know little Martha's house done burnt down, she done move over on Bradford Street