Blind Dog Radio

Complete Recorded Works, Vol.3 (1923-1932) by Lucille Hegamin

Label: Document Records
Release Date: April 9, 1996
Releases: 1996, 2000, 2005
Recording Time: 72 minutes
Recording Date: October, 1923 - March 4, 1932

Styles: Classic Female Blues.

The third, and final, Lucille Hegamin Document CD features her during 1923-1926 along with two titles from 1932; Hegamin would not appear on records again until 1960. It is surprising that she did not pop up on records during the latter half of the '20s for she was quite active performing in shows, and her easy way with pop tunes of the period could have made her a strong seller. Her 1923-1926 records usually feature her backed by an unidentified combo called the Dixie Daisies, other than two duets with pianist J. Russell Robinson and a couple of 1926 selections ("Nobody But My Baby Is Getting' My Love" and "Senorita Mine") with Clarence Williams' group. Although the personnel is long lost, Hegamin's backup musicians are generally quite good, both in reading their parts and in jamming short solos. The singer is heard in fine form on such numbers as "Rampart St. Blues," "If You Don't Give Me What I Want I'm Gonna Get It Somewhere Else," "Hard Hearted Hannah," "Alabamy Bound," "Dinah," and "Poor Papa." The two selections from 1932 ("Shake Your Cans" and "Totem Pole") are lesser numbers (taken as duets with pianist Irving Williams) but show that Lucille Hegamin was still in prime form at the time. Recommended.
by Scott Yanow

Credits: Buddy Christian - banjo; Buddy DeSylva - composer; Bud Green - composer; Lucille Hegamin - primary artist, vocals; Ray Henderson - composer; Lee Morgan - composer; Johnny Parth - producer; Andy Razaf - composer; Russell Robinson - piano; Chris Smith - liner notes; Gerhard Wessely - remastering; Clarence Williams - composer, piano; Irv Williams - piano; Harry MacGregor Woods - composer.

Tracks: 1) Chattanooga Man; 2) Rampart St. Blues; 3) Reckless Daddy; 4) Always Be Careful Mamma; 5) If You Don't Give Me What I Want (I'm Gonna Get It Somewhere Else); 6) You May Be Fast "But" Mamma's Gonna Slow You Down; 7) Mamma's the Boss; 8) If You'll Come Back; 9) I Threw a Good Man over for You; 10) Sweet Temptation Man; 11) Hard Hearted Hannah; 12) Easy Goin' Mamma; 13) Alabamy Bound; 14) Hot Tamale Molly; 15) Every Time I Pick a Sweetie; 16) My Sugar; 17) I Had Someone Else Before I Had You (And I'll Have Someone After ...); 18) No Man's Mamma; 19) Dinah; 20) Poor Papa (He's Got Nuthin' at All); 21) Here Comes Malinda; 22) Nobody But My Baby (Is Getting My Love); 23) Senorita Mine; 24) Shake Your Cans; 25) Totem Pole.