Blind Dog Radio

Train Blues by Leon Strickland

Leon Strickland - Train Blues; Leon Strickland, vocals and guitar in Vestapol tuning, Lucius Bridges, washboard.

Yeah, when the Santa Fe left that mornin', woman, I was layin' down in my bed
Yes, when the Santa Fe left this mornin', Lord, I was layin' down in my bed
Yes, my baby done left me, yes, and that old word she said

(SPOKEN): Yes, and I tell all you menfolks, don't never let one woman worry your mind. She keep you worried and bothered all the time. This mornin', do you know? My babe done packed her suitcase and her trunk was already gone. Want to know what she told me, she said, "Boy, you better wake up!" Then when I woke up I heard that Santa Feel [sic]. Tryin' to get away. My baby had done packed her suitcase and her trunk was already gone. That train was late that mornin'. I want you to hear that circle spinnin' on the track that mornin', tryin' to get away. When she got away, good boy, she give that higball blow. Me, big fool, so worried and blue, don't know what in the world to do. I thought about my old guitar and went back to the corner, commenced to playin' "My Baby's Gone." My baby's gone. Lord knows, that mornin', boy, that train run so fast you couldn't hear nothin' but that bell on. Conductor rung up to the engineer, said, "We fifteen minutes late. Think you can't catch it up, what we gon' do?" Want you to hear that train, runnin' that mornin'. When they got the call for Nashville, boy, you couldn't hear nothin' but that bell. When they got there, they was fifteen minutes late, I wish you could see them conductors meetin' one another with them watches in their hand, and which was how them watches was tickin' that morning'.

NOTE:
Leon Strickland (b. August 26, 1918 in Tangipahoa Parish, LA, d. May 1986 in Killona, LA) was a blues singer and guitarist, who was recorded by Harry Oster in Killona, Louisiana, in 1959 (all recordings remain unissued) and 1961 (one title released much later).