Blind Dog Radio

Teddy Bear Blues by Blind Lemon Jefferson

Blind Lemon Jefferson - Teddy Bear Blues (4567-1); Chicago c. June 1927, Pm 12487; F, no guitar, accomp. George Perkins, piano.

I am goin' to make friends with the fish in the deep blue sea.
I am gonna make friends with the fish in the deep blue sea.
These Chicago women won't be fussin' over me.

Come here, mama, I'm gonna take you far across the pond.
Ohhh, come here, mama, I'm gonna take you far across the pond.
I'm gonna make my stop in Italy where these monkey men don't belong.

These women in Chicago likes their fashions and pomp,
I say, the women in Chicago, they likes their fashions and pomp,
But the women from Nashville swear they just won't be here long.

Whup that thing, Mr. Piano Whupper, whup it till it breaks. Oh my, I feel just like a teddy bear.

I say, fair brown, let me be your teddy bear.
Ohhhh, let me be your teddy bear.
Tie a string on my neck and I'll follow you everywhere.

* * * * *

Blind Lemon Jefferson - Teddy Bear Blues (4567-2); Chicago c. June 1927, Pm 12487; F, no guitar, accomp. George Perkins, piano.

I'm gonna make friends with the fish in the deep blue sea,
I'm going to make friends with the fish in the deep blue sea,
And stop the Chicago women from arguin' over me.

Come here, pretty mama, gonna take you far across the pond.
Come here, pretty mama, gonna take you far across the pond.
I'm gonna make my stop in Italy where these monkey men don't belong.

These women in Chicago, they likes there fashions and pomp,
I say, women in Chicago, they likes there fashions and pomp,
But the women from Nashville swear they just won't be here long.

Whup that piano, Mr. Piano Whupper, whup it till it breaks. Oh my. I feel just like a teddy bear.

I say, fair brown, let me be your teddy bear.
Ohhhh, can I be your teddy bear?
Tie a string on my neck and I'll follow you everywhere.