Blind Dog Radio

Mr. Postman Blues by Jenny Pope

Jenny Pope - Mr. Postman Blues; Accompanied by Will Shade (?) on guitar in E position, standard tuning and an unknown jug player.

"Hey, Mr. Postman, did my man write to me today?
Hey, Mr. Postman, did my man write to me today?
I wrote lette'-letter last Monday, seen the mailman carry it away."

That mailman told me, "I have you some very sad news."
That mailman told me, "I have you some very sad news.
I know you wrote out a-last Monday, but I have nothing for you."

"Please, Mr. Postman, call my man over the phone.
Please, Mr. Postman, call my man over the phone.
Tell 'im I'm down with a fever, I've even mortgaged my home."

JUG SOLO

It was early that next mornin', that mailman knocked on my door
It was early that next mornin', the mailman knocked on my door
Said, "Here's your answer, lady, your man ain't comin' here no more."

"Look here, Mr. Postman, don't bring me no more sad news.
Look here, Mr. Postman, don't bring me no more sad news.
That's the very reason, I've got the mailman b-lues."

NOTE:
Jenny Pope was a blues singer, who recorded six titles in Memphis in 1929-1930.
"This may actually be Jennie Clayton, who sang with the Memphis Jug Band." (Blues and gospel records 1890-1943, Oxford University Press, 1997, p. 727)