Blind Dog Radio

Ninety-Nine Years And One Dark Day by Jesse Fuller

Jesse Fuller - Ninety-Nine Years And One Dark Day; E position, standard tuning.

SPOKEN: Here's "Ninety-Nine Years And One Dark Day". The ninety-nine years is when you got lifetime, the dark day's when you're dead, that's too bad for you.

INTRO SOLO (humming, Got ninety-nine years, one dark day)

I committed a crime, many years ago
Shot my woman, with a .44
She had another man, rolling in my hay
Got ninety-nine year and one dark day

Well, they put me in prison, with a ball and chain
Worked me every day, in the drizzle and the rain
The warden told me, "You're here to stay,
For ninety-nine years, one dark day."

SOLO

Well, I got in a fight, believe to my soul
They're gonna put me in the dungeon, where it's dark and cold
I laid in the dungeon, all the month of May
Got ninety-nine years, one dark day

Well, the food is bad, and the bed is hard
Don't tell me, go and tell it to the guard
Said to me, "Be happy and gay,
Got ninety-nine years, here and one dark day."

SOLO (oh ah, mmmm)

Lifetime in prison, they begin to sing
Lifetime in prison, here in the rain
They said to me, "Be happy and gay,
Got ninety-nine year, one dark day."

SOLO