Blind Dog Radio

Nobody Knows (What The Good Deacon Does) by Hambone Willie Newbern

Hambone Willie Newbern - Nobody Knows; Hambone Willie Newbern, vocals and guitar in C position, standard tuning.

Say, you talk about your fly deacons, there was one from my home
Says, he done got busy 'bout all them good-lookin' womens, (What did he said?)
"I'm gon' leave all the mens alone."

They invited their great deacon down to our church last night
When the reverend who gives religion out, he said,
"I know you all won't act right." (Why?)
At night when the lights come on, you oughta heard them sisters moan (What did he said?)

There's nobody knows what the good deacon was doin', Lord, whilst the lights was out
Now I ain't no fortune-teller but I 'clare I know just what I'm talkin' about
There was one old brother by the name of Mo, got so happy, pulled off all of his clothes (Be quiet)
Nobody knows what the good deacon's doin', Lordy, whilst the lights was out

And I ain't no fortune-teller but I 'clare I know just what I'm talkin' about
There was one old sister by the name of Ewing, 'shamed to tell you, brother, what that sister was doin' (Shhh!)
Nobody knows what the good deacon was doin', Lord, whilst the lights was out

I ain't no fortune-teller, but I 'clare I know just what I'm talkin' about
There was one old sister, lived down on Vance, said, "I'd just be in that shimmy parlor if I had a chance."
Nobody knows what the good deacon's doin', Lord, whilst the lights was out

Says I ain't no fortune-teller but I 'clare I know just what I'm talkin' about
There was one old sister named Sister Green, jumped up and done the shimmy, Lord, you ain't never seen
Nobody knows what the good deacon was doin', Lord, once the lights was out

SOLO (During solo: Mm, deacon, hi, deacon, dee, dee-dah, dee, dee-dah)
'Body knows what the good deacon was doin', Lordy, whilst the lights was out

I ain't no fortune-teller but I 'clare I know just what I'm talking' about
She pulled off one slipper and then one sock, got way back and doin' the double Eagle Rock
Nobody knows what the good deacon was doin', Lord, whilst the lights was out

SOLO (During solo: good deacon, bad deacon, dah, dah-dahdle, dee, dee-dah
Dooo-doo, dee-dee, diddle-diddle, di-di-dah)

OUTRO