Blind Dog Radio

Old Rub Alcohol Blues by Dock Boggs

Dock Boggs - Old Rub Alcohol Blues; Banjo in c#ADEA tuning, played in D position, Emry Arthur, back-up guitar.

Troubles up and down the road, and trials all the way around
Never knew what troubles was, 'til my darling threw me down

With nothing but old ragged clothes, my heartstrings broken to shreds
Blues are creeping over my body, queer notions flying through my head

If ever I meet that girl again, our troubles will all be o'er
I'll steal her out away from home, we will sail for some parting shore

When my worldly trials are over, and my last goodbye I've said
Bury me near my darling's doorstep, where the roses blooms and fade

My pockets all are empty, like they've often been before
If ever I reach my home again, I'll walk these ties no more

The easiest thing I ever done was lovin' and drinkin' wine
The hardest thing I ever done was working out a judge's fine

The cheapest thing I ever done was sleeping out amongst the pines
The hardest thing I ever tried was keeping pork chops off of my mind

I've never worked for pleasure, peace on Earth I can not find
The only thing I surely own is a worried and troubled mind

If wine and women don't kill me, there's one more plan to find
Soak up the old rub alkyhol, ease the troubles all off of my mind

When my worldly trials are over, and my last goodbye I've said
Bury me near my darling's doorstep, where the roses blooms and fade