Blind Dog Radio

Peggy Walker by Dock Boggs

Peggy Walker - Dock Boggs; banjo tuned gDGBD, Mike Seeger, guitar in G position, standard tuning.

There's a jolly old farmer who lived, the neighbor nigh
He had one only daughter and upon her I cast my eye
Had one only daughter and upon her I cast my eye

Asked her if she'd be willing for me to cross the plain,
If she would be true to me 'til I returned again
She would be true to me 'til I returned again

SOLO

Said she'd be true to me 'til death come on too kind
So I shook hands and parted with the girl I left behind
So I shook hands and parted with the girl I left behind

SOLO

I steered my boat for Portland, strange countries to see
I met Miss Peggy Walker and she fell in love with me
Met Miss Peggy Walker and she fell in love with me

I knew if I should marry that I'd be to blame
The girl I left behind me would laugh at me for shame
Girl I left behind me would laugh at me for shame

SOLO

Quit my work one evening, I was walking up George Street
The stage was just returning and the postboy I did meet
The stage was just returning and the postboy I did meet

He handed me a letter that I might understand
The girl I left behind me had married another man
Girl I left behind me had married another man

SOLO

As I stood there a-laughing, says he, "Poor boy, don't cry,
For I have plenty of money for to serve both you and I.
Have plenty of money for to serve both you and I."

My pocketbook was empty, think it's full time
Stop and think no longer of the girl I left behind
Marry Miss Peggy Walker and have a jolly old time