Blind Dog Radio

Mama's Quittin' And Leavin', Part 2 by "Funny Papa" Smith (Magnolia Harris & Howling Smith)

Mama's Quittin' and Leavin', Part 2 - Funny Papa Smith. Recorded Chicago, c. December 1930; A position, pitched at B.

I'm tired of bein' scolded when I know I'm doin' the best I can
I'm tired of bein' scolded when I know I'm doin' the best I can
To keep from bein' your dog daddy, I'm goin' to get me a brand new man

When your drinkin' you talk too much mama, forgive me if you please
When your drinkin' you talk too much mama, forgive me if you please
I love you and always will mama, I'm down on my bended knee

No use of gettin' on your knees 'cause I can't use you no more
No use of gettin' on your knees, baby, I can't use you no more
I've been your dog long enough, so this mornin' I'll have to go

I know the reason I can't keep you mama, I taken you from my bosum friend
I know the reason I can't keep you mama, I taken you from my bosum friend
I can feel that rascal's gettin' lucky, I know you gonna take him right back again

You know all this time, thinkin' you was all mine and I come to find you was worse all the time
And I didn't save one penny 'till six months after you left
I'll give you one more chance to make a man out of yourself

Baby please don't, baby please don't, I mean please don't go, here's one thing that you don't know
Baby, come on and sit down and talk to me and give me one more try
And you can do just as you please and I'll act like some mother's child