Blind Dog Radio

Johnson City Blues by Clarence Greene

Johnson City Blues - Clarence Green; Johnson City, TN October 15 1928 for Columbia.
Alternate take on "White Country Blues" (Columbia Legacy C2K 47466).

Went up on the Lookout Mountain
As far as I could see
I was looking for the woman made a monkey outta me
I come down to the depot in time to catch a cannonball
Got the blues, Chattanooga
I won't be back 'till late next fall.

Down in Memphis
On East Main Street
I was watching everybody that I chanced to meet
I saw my sweet Daddy, coming 'round the flat
He was dressed in a tailor-made suit
And a John B. Stetson hat.

Daddy, sweet Daddy
I know you're gonna quit me now
But I don't need no Daddy no-how
Oh it's trouble, trouble, is all I ever find
Going back to Johnson City
Goin' to worry you off my mind

Down in Nicaragua[1]
As far as I could go
Was the darndest bunch of soldiers that you ever saw
On the Tennessee River down below the lock and dam
I was looking for my good gal
Thinkin' she might be ??**[2] brown

Down in Johnson City
For hospitality
Are the finest bunch of people in the State of Tennessee
I'm tired of roamin' this way
Goin' back to Johnson City
I'll go back and stay some day.

Notes:
1. Corruption of Chickamauga, from recordings by Ida Cox and by the Allen Brothers, "Chattanooga Blues".
2. Various desperate theories for this line that people came up with included "thinking she might be my purty Miss Brown", "thinking she might believe I was drowned", "might be pandemus brown" (There's an academic paper in there somewhere - "My Pandemus Brown: Classical Allusions in White Country Blues").