Blind Dog Radio

Jellyroll by Furry Lewis

Jelly Roll - Furry Lewis; EAEGBE tuning, at Eb.

I went to the gypsy, to get my fortune told
Went to the gypsy, baby, get my fortune told
Lord, the gypsy's told me, "Boy, you got a jelly roll."

Ain't nobody in town cook a jelly roll like mine
Nobody in town cook a jelly roll like mine
Nobody in town cook a jelly roll like mine

I went first on Main Street, Lord, I started down Beale
First on Main Street, Lord, and I started down Beale
Lookin' for my girl, Lord, that we all call Lucille

I know you don't want me, why don't you tell me so?
Babe, I know you don't want me, why don't you tell me so?
Then you won't be bothered with me 'round your house no more

Lord, my good girl quit me, my kid done put me down
Lord, my girl done quit me, my kid done put me down
I wouldn't hate it so bad, but the talk's all over town

We've got a new way of spelling Memphis, Tennessee
We got a new way of spelling Memphis, Tennessee
Double "m", double "e", Lord, "a", "y", and a "z"

Lord, my gal done quit me now
Hey Lord, my gal done quit me now
I'm goin' to the river, I'm gonna jump overboard and drown