Blind Dog Radio

Death Bell Blues by Lee Green

Death Bell Blues - Lee Green. Lee Green, piano and vocal.

INTRO

I hate to hear that lonesome death bell tone
I hate to hear that lonesome death bell tone
But it reminds me of my dear Mother, I mean, that's dead and gone

I can't stay here, Lord, I can't stay nowhere
Lord, I can't stay here, babe, I can't stay nowhere
Lord, I been to the Nation, sweet mama, and I couldn't stay there

From East St. Louis to the river, the river to the deep blue sea
Got from East St. Louis to a river, from the river to the deep blue sea
If I don't get the woman that I'm lovin', I don't care what becomes of me

It's so cold in Chicago, the birds can't hardly sing
Lord, it's so cold in Chicago, the birds can't hardly sing
It's so cold in East St. Louis, 'til these women can't make a doggone thing

But my babe, she done quit me, and I don't even care
I mean, my babe done quit me, and I don't even care
I b'lieve that lonesome death bell, gon' take me 'way from here