Blind Dog Radio

Boll Weevil by Buster "Buzz" Ezell

Boll Weevil - Buster "Buzz" Ezell; G position, standard tuning.

Well, the first time I saw boll weevil, he was settin' on a cotton square
Next time I saw mister weevil, he had his whole family there
What you reckon he said? 'Bout to kill me dead!

He said to our doctor, "Might well as throw away your pills,
For when I get through with this country, the farmers can't pay their bills,
They won't have no homes, they won't have no homes."

Well, I'm goin' back to Texas, to where I was bred and born
Mama, I'm gwine to leave Georgia, but Georgia ain't none of my home
I'm on my way, I'm on my way

Boll weevil said to the farmer, "Farmer, I wish you well."
Farmer said to the weevil, "Yes, but I wish you's dead --,
Got to leave my home, on account of you."

Well, the weevil says to the farmer, "Why, I'm your bosom friend.
Every since I been in this country, cotton's brought you thirty-five cents,
You ought to praise my name, you ought to praise my name."

Boll weevil says to the farmer, "You might do just as you please.
But if you don't raise no cotton, I'll eat up all of your peas,
You'll have to sell your corn to pay your debts."

Weevil says to the farmer, "You might think I'm tellin' a tale.
But when you come to find out, you'll be arrested and put in jail,
You can't pay your fine, you can't pay your fine."

Boll weevil said to High Sheriff one day, a-riding in his automobile,
He said, "When I get through with these cotton fields, I'm gonna purchase every one of your wheels,
You'll have to ride on the rims, you'll have to ride on the --."

Well, the weevil said to the judge, "You can do just as you please.
But when I get through with this country, you'll be crawling on your knees,
You're going to be insane, you're going to be in--."

Well, the first time I saw the boll weevil, he was settin' on a cotton square,
Next time I saw mister weevil, he had his whole family there,
What you reckon he said? 'Bout to kill me dead!

Said to our doctor, "Might as well throw away your pills,
For when I get through with this country, the farmers can't pay their bills,
They won't have no homes, they won't have no homes."