Blind Dog Radio

Four O'Clock Flower Blues by Willie "61" Blackwell

Willie "61" Blackwell - Four O'Clock Flower Blues. Self-accompanied on guitar, E position, standard tuning. Alfred Elkins, imitation bass.

Four o'clock flowers bloom out in the morning, and close in the afternoon
Four o'clock flowers bloom out in the morning, and they close in the afternoon
They are only a summer beauty, so as my little Betty June

If you'd only stop playing hooky, and be a little more true
If you'd only stop playing hooky, and be a little more true
All the love I have to spare, Betty June, would be for you

I'm a hard-working man, and I never gets my loving soon
I'm a hard-working man, and I never gets my loving soon
And when I thinks about it in the mornin', makes my heart ache in the afternoon

My job calls me at six PM, I don't get home 'til day
My job calls me at six PM, and I don't gets home 'til day
My friends say you have done, Betty June, don't make me feel that way

I'm not jealous but I'm superstitious, though most working mens that way
I'm not jealous but I'm superstitious, the most working mens that way
And if I catch you playing hooky, Betty June, what a day, what a day!