Blind Dog Radio

Lead Pencil Blues by Johnny Temple

Lead Pencil Blues - Johnny Temple; Temple, E position in standard tuning, Charlie McCoy, G position in standard tuning.

INTRO (Spoken: Lord have mercy. I want to write a letter so bad I don't know what to do.)

I laid down last night, couldn't eat a bite, the woman I love, don't treat me right
REFRAIN: Lead in my pencil, babe, it's done gone bad
And it's the worst old feeling, baby, that I ever had

I woke up this morning, my baby says she mighty mad, 'cause the lead in my pencil, it's done gone bad
REFRAIN: Lead in my pencil, babe, it's done gone bad
And that's the worst old feeling that I ever had

My baby told me this mornin', she's feelin' mighty blue, lead in my pencil, just wouldn't do
And she said, "Been ready all night. Lead in your pencil, daddy, just won't write."
REFRAIN: Lead in my pencil, babe, it just won't write
And that's the worst old feeling, baby, that I ever had

SOLO

Uh, my baby said she going to quit me, I tell you for this reason why, lead in my pencil, gone bye-bye
Laid down last night, couldn't help but cry, wanted to write so bad, I's about to die
REFRAIN: Lead in my pencil, babe, it's done gone bad
And it's the worst old feeling, baby, that I ever had