Blind Dog Radio

Blues by "Big Boy"

Big Boy - Blues; Vestapol tuning, with a slide.
NOTE: Dashes indicate places where the slide takes a vocal line in place of the voice.

SPOKEN: I was travelin' South, see, I was goin' a hobo trip. Home flyin' freight come up through the yard, see, they always tone a bell in the yard.
GUITAR TONES BELL

Gettin' near the crossing, I mean she always give four blows on the whistle, which is two long, two short.

GUITAR BLOWS WHISTLE

When she gets clear of the crossing, I thought I'd catch this freight. I caught this freight when she stopped. Detective came over, a-runnin. Cast my eyes at his, at which he was suspicious, then here's the song I sing for him.

SUNG: Nearer, my God, to Thee
Nearer to Thee
Nearer, my God, to Thee
Nearer to Thee

Nearer my song shall be
Nearer, my God, to Thee
Nearer, my God, to Thee
Nearer to Thee

SPOKEN: He passed me up. The brakeman come along, the brakeman says I am accusin' him. Quite naturally, when you get a long way from home you take the blues, and here's the blues I played for the brakeman.

SUNG: Ever been down, you know 'bout how'd I feel
You ever been down, know 'bout how'd I feel
Like a soldier laid me on some battlefield

---, had it all my days
Trouble, trouble, had it all my days
Yes, trouble, trouble, had it all my days
Lord, I b'lieve to my soul trouble follow me to my grave

---, baby, explain this lonesome song
Won't you run here, baby, explain this lonesome song
Won't you run here, baby, explain this lonesome song
'Cause I'm worried and troubled, I don't know what to do

Lord, I'm standin' here wonderin' would a matchbox hold my clothes
Lord, standin' here wonderin' would a matchbox hold my clothes
Lord, I'm standin' here wonderin' would a matchbox hold my clothes
For I haven't got many, got so far to go

I'm Georgia-raised, but b'lieve Alabama bound, Lord knows
I'm Georgia-raised, b'lieve I'm 'Bama bound
Georgia-raised, b'lieve that I'm 'Bama bound
'T'ain't no need of talkin', that's no way to do

NOTE:
"Big Boy" was a blues singer and guitarist, recorded by Library of Congress in Hampton, Virginia, in 1941.