Blind Dog Radio

Ten Pound Hammer by Albert McCoy

Albert McCoy - Ten Pound Hammer; Sung a capella.

Spoken: This is a song, the songs they used to sing in 1900 when they was layin' steel on the Elkhorn. Down the Elkhorn, especially around the Elkhorn Station up on a high bluff 'round there. Here's the song.

Lord, ten-pound hammer, it killed John Henry
Ten-pound hammer, done killed John Henry
Ten-pound hammer, it killed John Henry
Won't kill me, Lord, it won't kill me

(Spoken: Said it) This old hammer, it shines like silver
This old hammer, it shine like silver
This old hammer, it shines like silver
Rings like gold, rings like gold

Says, I'm goin' back to East Colorado
I'm goin' back to East Colorado
I'm goin' back to East Colorado
That's my home, that's my home

Says, if you meet my woman in the mornin'
If you meet my woman in the mornin'
Tell 'er I'm gone, tell 'er I'm gone

Says, all I want is one can tomatoes
All I want is one can of tomatoes
Two cans of corn, two cans of corn

Says, I'm goin' back to home in Georgy
I'm goin' back to my home in Georgy
Lord, I'm goin' to stay, Lord, I'm goin' to stay

Says, this old hammer gettin' mighty heavy
This old hammer gettin' mighty heavy
This old hammer's gettin' mighty heavy
Gonna throw it away, gonna throw it away