Blind Dog Radio

Oil Well Blues by Blind Lemon Jefferson

Oil Well Blues (21197-1) - Blind Lemon Jefferson; Chicago March 1929, Pm 12771; E position and pitch.

(Oh listen to that gas, how it's blowin' and quiverin'. It's blowin' just like an earthquake.)

Ain't nothin', mama, don't be scared at all.
It ain't nothin', mama, don't be scared at all.
There's a long-distant well and it's blowin' in oil that's all.

Ain't nothin' to hurt you, sugar, ain't nothin' that's bad.
Ain't nothin' to hurt you, honey, ain't nothin' bad.
It's the first oil well that your little boom ever had.

I'm a long-distance driller, I'm wild-cattin' the country through.
I'm a long-distance driller, and I've been wild-cattin' the country through.
Well, I'm stoppin' wild-cattin' if I bring in this well for you.

I'm a mean oil well driller, been a driller since I've been a man.
I'm a mean oil well driller, I've been a driller since I've been a man.
And I don't stop drillin' till I strikes that Woodbine sand.[*]

I got a reputation and they call me drillin' Slim.
I got a mean reputation and they call me drillin' Slim.
But when I starts to drillin', you hear women hollerin', "Too black bad."

Notes:
* Woodbine is a town about 20 miles north of Dallas. The phrase "Woodbine sand" turns up in connection with oil drilling: "In all fields oil and gas are drawn from the Woodbine sands at depths of 2,800 to 4,500 feet" (From The Handbook of Texas).