Blind Dog Radio

Happy New Year Blues by Blind Lemon Jefferson

Happy New Year Blues (20819-2) - Blind Lemon Jefferson, Chicago, c. August 1928, Pm 12692, C position pitched C#.

(A Happy New Year, folks, to each and everybody.)

I'm thinkin' about the year of 19 and 29,
I'm thinkin' 'bout the year of 19 and 29
New Year caught me with my money and man I was doin' very fine.

I was lyin' down with my baby, we had one small quart of gin,
I was lyin' down with my baby, we had a small quart of gin,
And the old doorbell kept a-ringin', I wouldn't leave nobody come in.

The whistle was blowin' for New Year, around twelve o'clock at night
The whistle was blowin' for New Year, around twelve o'clock at night
I lied there arguin' with my baby, until the good Lord broke daylight.

Early one New Year mornin', I was walkin' down by the mill,
I say early one New Year mornin', I was walkin' down by the mill,
Every man likes his liquor, when he gets it fresh from the still.

I hate to drink on New Year, for this whiskey they're makin' is too strong,
I say I hate to drink on New Year, this whiskey they're makin' is too strong,
Because I would take two or three drinks, I'll be drunk the whole day long.

(Hurry up with that Santy Claus, bring him on around here.)