Blind Dog Radio

Boyd Gilmore

Boyd Gilmore, b. June 1, 1905 in Belzoni, MS, d. December. 23, 1976 in Fresno, CA, was a Delta blues singer, guitarist and songwriter. Amongst the songs he wrote were "All in My Dreams", "Believe I'll Settle Down", "I Love My Little Woman" and "If That's Your Girl". Gilmore also recorded a version of fellow Delta bluesman Robert Johnson's track, "Ramblin' on My Mind".

A guitarist, although seemingly not recorded as such, and an exuberant singer, Gilmore recorded for Modern in 1952 with Ike Turner on piano and James Scott Jnr. on guitar; Scott was an early victim of recording technology when an introduction and guitar break by Elmore James were spliced into "Rambling On My Mind". The following year, Gilmore recorded for Sun Records, backed by Earl Hooker's band, but the results were not issued until later. Gilmore performed in delta juke joints for a while, also playing in St. Louis and Pine Bluff, Arkansas, before settling in California for the remainder of his life. He died December 23, 1976 aged 71. Gilmore was interred at Odd Fellows Cemetery in Fresno, California.