Blind Dog Radio

Bright Sunny South by Dock Boggs

Dock Boggs - Bright Sunny South; Banjo, tuned gDGCD.

In the bright sunny South, in peace and content
The days of my boyhood I scarcely have spent
From the deep flowing spring to the broad flowing tree
Every dear to my memory, as sweet is my dream

I leave my confinement and comfort of life
The danger of bloodshed, provision and strife
I've come to come close and reply with my word
As I shoulder my musket and billet my sword

My father looks sad as he beg me to part
And my mother embraced me with anguish of heart
And my beautiful sister looked pale in her woe
As she grabbed me and blessed me and told me to go

Dear Father, dear Father, for me do not weep
For a lonesome high mountain, I mean for to sleep
And the dangers of war I intend for to share
And for sickness and death I intend to prepare

Dear Mother, dear Mother, for me do not weep
For a mother's kind voice, I ever will keep
You have taught me, "Be brave.", from a boy to a man
And I'm going in to fence of her own native land

Dear sister, dear sister, I can not tell my woe
Your tears and your sorrow, they trouble me so
I must be a-going for here I can not stand
For I'm going in to fence of her own native land