Blind Dog Radio

Ora Alexander

Active: 1920s - 1930s.
Ora Alexander was active as a recording artist in the early 1930s, and her eight released sides included "You've Got to Save That Thing" and "I Crave Your Lovin' Every Day". Her recordings were in a primitive barrelhouse style. Little is known of her life outside of music.

Alexander made ten recordings in New York City for Columbia Records, between May 1931 and March 1932, although only eight of that number were ever released. From the dates of the recordings it is known that she was placed in New York at least twice within one year, although it is not certain whether she ever resided there. Her pianist was not generally named on the recordings, although it is certain that Milton Davage was her accompanist on "I'm Wild About My Patootie". It is conjectured that Alexander may have accompanied herself on other tracks.

Her saucy, ribald style was exemplified in her song, "I Crave Your Lovin' Every Day" (1932), where the lyrics stated, "Come on daddy, get down on your knees, Sock it to my weak spot if you please".

Recordings (Columbia): 
"I Crave Your Lovin' Every Day"
"I'm Going to Have It Now"
"I'm Wild About My Patootie"
"Men Sure Are Deceiving"
"Rider Needs a Fast Horse"
"Sweetest Daddy in Town"
"Ugly Man Blues"
"You've Got to Save That Thing"