Blind Dog Radio

Gas Man Blues by Mae Glover with John Byrd

Gas Man Blues - Mae Glover with John Byrd.
John Byrd, 12-string guitar out of G position, standard tuning.
NOTE: The song begins with a spoken intro followed by singing with occasional spoken comments. Singing and speaking for the two parties are labeled, respectively, Mae for Mae Glover and John for John Byrd.

SOUND OF KNOCKING
SPOKEN: Mae: Who is that?
John: Gasman, lady
Mae: Aw, pshaw, Mr. Gas Man, I ain't got no money today.
John: Very sorry, lady, but I have orders to cut your gas off today.
Mae: Not today, Mr. Gas Man, surely. How could you treat a poor gal so cruel?

SUNG: Mae: Mr. Gas Man, please don't turn my gas off today
John: Oh yes, pretty mama, got no money to pay

Mae: But the wind is blowing and the snow begins to fall (Spoken, Mae: Have a heart, man, have a heart)
John: Better git you a wood-chopper, to back up in your door

Mae: But Mr. Gas Man, this cold wind certainly will give me a chill
John: You better go to the doctor, get you a c.c. pill (Spoken, Mae: I ain't got no money, spoken, John: That's funny)

Mae: Mr. Gas Man, come into my parlor, I want to ask you to close the door
John: I've been in, pretty mama, and I won't be back no more (Spoken, Mae: If you come in this time, you'll come back some more)

Mae: Mr. Gas Man, will you please call 'round after dark?
John: If I call around, mama, will you let me park? (Spoken, Mae: If my kid man don't happen to be here, you may park)

Mae: Are you coming in, Mr. Gas Man? I want to tell you something right quick
John: Quit arguin', woman, Gas Man got nothin' that he wants fixed (Spoken, Mae: Now listen here, man)

Mae: I want to get you early at the Sunday toll
John: I can't help you woman, Gas Man got no jellyroll (Spoken, Mae: I know you ain't got no jellyroll, but your lovin' mama got all that jellyroll, and it's got sugar between it, too!)

Mae: Mr. Gas Man, you got that old hot bankroll over there in your pants, and I want some of it, too
John: I can't help you, pretty mama, the Gas Man don't take no chance (Spoken, Mae: It won't be a chance here, brother, I'm tellin' you.)