Blind Dog Radio

Complete, Vol. 4, 1946-1949 by Cecil Gant

Label: Blue Moon
Release Date: June 24, 2003
Releases: 2003, 2004
Recording Time: 74 minutes
Release Info: Compilation Studio Recording

Styles: Piano Blues, Regional Blues, West Coast Blues, Boogie-Woogie, Early R&B

Gant was born in Nashville, TN, where he worked as a musician from the mid-1930s until he joined the army at the start of World War II. After performing at a War Bond rally in Los Angeles, CA, he signed with the Gilt Edge record label. His recording of "I Wonder" (1944) was released under the name "Pvt. Cecil Gant". "I Wonder" sold well, and reached number one on the Billboard Harlem Hit Parade (the former name of the R&B chart). Gant toured as "The G.I. Sing-sation". Gant also released material for King Records (1947), Bullet Records (1948–49), Downbeat/Swingtime (1949), and Imperial Records (1950). His recording of "Nashville Jumps" opens the 2004 compilation Night Train to Nashville. Gant died from pneumonia in Nashville in 1951, at the age of 37. He is buried in Highland Park Cemetery in Cleveland, OH.

Credits: Cecil Gant - primary artist.

Tracks: 1) If It's True; 2) Boogie Woogie Baby; 3) IM All Alone Now; 4) Anna Mae; 5) Ninth Street Jive; 6) ItS The Girl; 7) Every Minute Of Every Hour; 8) Boozie Boogie; 9) Go To Sleep Little Baby; 10) My! My! My!; 11) I Believe I'll Go Back Home; 12) I Wonder; 13) Three Little Girls; 14) Another Day, Another Dollar; 15) Im A Good Man But A Poor Man; 16) Cecils Jam Session; 17) I AinT Gonna Cry No More; 18) Screwy Boogie; 19) I Hate To Say Goodbye; 20) My Little Baby; 21) Im Singing The Blues Today; 22) Rose Room; 23) Whats The Matter; 24) You Cant Do Me Right (And Do Me Wrong); 25) So Tired; 26) Bullet Boogie; 27) Take It And Get; 28) Dont Worry About Me.