Blind Dog Radio

Rocket 88 by Jackie Brenston

Label: Charly Records
Release Date: 1991
Recording Date: March 5, 1951 - April 17, 1953

Styles: Early R&B, Jump Blues

If Brenston's "Rocket 88" was in actuality the very first rock & roll record, as many experts claim, the rest of his brief Chess legacy adds up to quite a definitive rockin' statement. Among these 16 sides dating from 1951-1953 are his amazing sequel "My Real Gone Rocket," which probably rocks even harder than "Rocket 88" as Ike Turner pounds the keys; "Tuckered Out," the evocative "Fat Meat Is Greasy" (one of several items only out in Japan before the advent of this British CD), and seven sides Brenston cut in Chicago without Sam Phillips to guide him, nor Turner's Kings of Rhythm to back him up. Great stuff.
by Bill Dahl

Credits: Jackie Brenston - primary artist, saxophone, vocals.

Tracks: 1) Rocket 88; 2) I Want To See My Baby; 3) Jackie's Chewing Gum; 4) Make My Love Come Down; 5) My Real Gone Rocket; 6) Mule; 7) My Baby Left Town; 8) Hi-Ho Baby; 9) Lovin' Time; 10) Fat Meat Is Greasy; 11) 88 Boogie; 12) You Won't Be Comin' Back; 13) True Love; 14) The Blues Got Me Again; 15) Independent Woman; 16) Tuckered Out.